A high precision, light weight, direct drive, planetary extruder system.
A design by Dr. Lorincz Rober in cooperation with LDO. For more information visit https://orbiterprojects.com/.
Filament Sensor Add-on: https://store.dremc.com.au/products/orbiter-extruder-v2-0-filament-sensor
Assembled completed Orbiter V2.0 Extruder with LDO-36STH20-1004AH high temperature pancake stepper motor
Ender 3 Epogee Guide: https://docs.ldomotors.com/en/orbiter/apogee/installation_guide
Improvements and features over previous versions of Orbiter:
- Shorter hardened drive gears 11mm vs 15mm manufactured by Bondtech
- Weight reduced to ~135 grams
- Smaller more compact dimensions (11.6% shorter)
- New motor design offers ~40% increase in extrusion force in real printing conditions and much improved acceleration performance
- Flipped drive gears – filament path closer to the extruder center for a more balanced design and perfect fit on delta printers as well
- Stainless steel filament exit guide with 0.2-0.3mm clearance to drive gears for best TPU printing experience and extreme wear resistance when using abrasive filaments.
- High temperature resistant housings, GPA12
- Machined PEEK secondary drive gear sleeve
- Tension mechanism with grab screw design
- Mounting screws in line with filament exit path – improving housing stiffness and easier mounting
- Perfectly aligned filament path
- New smaller and more stylish PTFE tube input coupler
- Motor position rotated by additional 10 degrees for easier maintenance and assembly
- Extremely low backlash ~0.06mm
- Filament sensor add on with auto load and unload button add on feature
- And many more small changes to improve mechanical accuracy and design look
- Steps: 690 steps/mm @ 16 micro-stepping
- Max. instantaneous speed change (jerk): 600mm/min(RRF), 10mm/s (Marlin) (recommended 300/5)
- Pressure advance: 0.02~0.03s – to be calibrated
- Retraction: 1~1.5mm – to be calibrated
- Retraction speed: 120mm/s, reduce it to 30mm/s when printing TPU
- Motor current: 1.2A Peak or 0.85A RMS (LDO-36STH20-1004AHG)
- Max. acceleration: 8000 mm/s2 *
- Normal motor operating temperature: 65-75°C
- Drive motor with stealth chop disabled!
* The extruder itself without filament can handle acceleration up to 25000mm/s2. Adding weight of the filament it drags along its recommended to have acceleration limit set not above 8000mm/s2. To reduce clicking noise of the extruder (due to fast direction change) you may limit acceleration to 3000mm/s2
For more information please visit the Orbiter website here: